Micro Travel Bursaries for Visual Artists in Sheffield
Posted on 28.11.2018
Deadline: Midnight Monday 14 January 2019
Aims of the Project
In order to support the career progression of Sheffield based visual artists, Making Ways are offering ten open travel bursaries to allow artists to visit festivals, art fairs, events, exhibitions and meetings. This programme aims to allow artists the opportunity to see and be inspired by a wide range of artworks, network with people outside of Sheffield and widen their potential for collaboration.
Where can I go?
The Travel Bursaries are open – allowing artists to come up with their own itinerary. Trips need to have specific focus and applicants will need to indicate why the trip aligns with their artistic practice and what they hope to gain from it in their application. Travel can either be in the UK or international. Other funding required must be sourced by the artist.
Who can apply? Am I eligible?
To be eligible for funding:
– Applicants must be visual artists with their practice rooted in contemporary art including a variety of medium: drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking, collage and installations; performance art; film based disciplines such as photography, artists’ film and video, digital and/or interactive works; environmental, land art and street art; ceramics, textiles, metalwork and applied arts. Note: Theatre is not eligible for this funding.
– Artists can be at any stage of their career, but will have demonstrated a commitment to developing their practice through new work, new skills or new opportunities.
– Artists must be based in Sheffield, either working here or living here. ‘Sheffield’, in this instance is classed as within Sheffield City Boundaries which are not necessarily the same as the ‘S postcode’. There is a link to a map here – http://mdfs.net/Docs/Sheffield/Borders/1918.gif
– Trips must be for a specific piece of research – to visit an exhibition or attend a meeting/event which aligns with the artist’s practice and has identified potential outcome.
– Travel MUST be completed by mid May 2019.
– Artists need to have a UTR (Unique Tax Reference) Number, to enable payment.
Note: Artists who have been supported through other Making Ways initiatives are welcome to apply.
How much are the bursaries for?
Ten bursaries are available. Bursaries are £150
How to apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form.
This needs to be completed and returned by the deadline of Midnight Monday 14 January 2019.
Making Ways, News